A is for Airways

Posted on Updated on

MY NEW YORK ADVENTURE A-Z CHALLENGE 2014

Or to be more precise British Airways, who were my airline of choice when booking the flights to New York City last year.

balogo

I have already blogged about just how scared I used to be about flying – resulting in never holidaying abroad and getting off two aeroplanes a number of years ago and spoiling family holidays.

Thanks to British Airways and their life-changing Fear of Flying course I was able to cross the Atlantic Ocean last summer and finally visit the one place in the world that I wanted to see more than anything.

New York City.

It was a no-brainer when booking the flights. Although slightly more expensive than other airlines, this didn’t matter to me as I knew that flying with BA meant that I would be looked after throughout the whole flight. If I got nervous I could just tell them that I’d done their course and felt confident that they would look after me.

I flew the eight hours on a Boeing 747 which was my first experience of not only flying long-haul, but also flying on a jumbo. Wow! What a bird.2013-08-03 10.40.28

The eight-hour flight flew by (literally) and I spent a lot of the time walking up and down the plane stretching my back, and looking quite scary to my fellow passengers as I just had the biggest grin on my face for the entire time.

Spoilt for choice with the entertainment system, I had the choice of watching movies, TV shows or listening to music. I watched Les Miserables, Song for Marion and a couple of episodes of Girls. It was impossible to sleep as I was too excited about my destination.

Every few hours we were served snacks, then a main meal following by another hot sandwich. Drinks were available whenever we wanted, and this was in the cheap seats too.

The best part ever for me was as soon as the plane was on the ground and the flight attendant came on the radio to say the words I had longed to hear “Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to New York’s John.F.Kennedy Airport”. The adventure was about to begin.

Thank you British Airways.

If I never travel anywhere again I will always treasure my adventures in the USA and Canada last summer.

2013-08-05 15.45.08

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “A is for Airways

Jim Kane said:
    April 1, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Congrats on your flying! Looking forward to your posts!
    A fellow AtoZ’ er
    Regards

Jim

Heather Walker (@Heather91404743) said:
    April 1, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Well done you!

angelawatt said:
    April 1, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Northern Scribbler – what a great name. Glad to hear you have overcome your fear of flying so that you could travel to NYC. Look forward to reading more. I used to live there (95-98) and so it will be lovely to read about how it is and how it might have changed. Good luck with the challenge. I like you am wondering how I might fit it in, but hey hopefully I’ll make it work too.

northernscribbler responded:
      April 1, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Oh my living in NYC is soooooo cool. If I could have my time again I would have visited NYC when I was young and fearless before the flying phobia kicked in.
      Good luck with the April challenge xx

northernscribbler responded:
    April 1, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for the comments. I am looking forward to this challenge, but also reading everyone elses blogs.

Christine said:
    April 1, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Northern scribbler – I had you in Minnesota or Canada when I saw your name! Never imagined it would be Northern England.

Great post!

northernscribbler responded:
      April 1, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Thanks Christine. Yes Manchester to be exact (fabulous city).

Lucy said:
    April 1, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Hiya! I came over to have a look at your blog too!
    Good luck on the challenge too and I’m going to have to remember your post because I’m going to NYC in a couple of months for the first time!
    Cheers lass!
    Lucy

northernscribbler responded:
      April 1, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Oh you are in for a treat.THE most magical city in the world…..

Cathrina Constantine said:
    April 2, 2014 at 11:30 am

I wanted to be a flight attendant many moons ago, now I’m afraid to fly…duh…

northernscribbler responded:
      April 2, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Oh no – sorry about that. I totally sympathise though – getting on a plane is probably been my greatest challenge to date.

trishnugentwriter said:
    April 2, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Great start to the challenge. My A is airport. Great minds …?

Liked by 1 person